Saturday 2 November 2013

Adrenaline High and soon to say Goodbye

Well where do I start, we dived under a jetty last night and were surrounded by sharks and sting rays. It was a frenzy :-).  Before leaving I was pretty apprehensive. Although I was worried about the sharks I was also concerned about the sting rays - I really didn't want to come down on one of those!!!  

So it's dark, we jump in with a little light from our torches! As we descend what do I see directly under me....a sting ray!! It was actually an amazing sight :-).  We then settle onto the sandy bottom and watch the sharks and rays feed.....I can not say how many times I have been privileged this week. To see such wonderful animals in their natural environment has been amazing. There were too many sharks and rays to count, they just kept on coming, and coming and coming. The first spot quitened down a little then we moved to about 5 metres of water and saw more and more and more.  I just can not put numbers to these!  Alton Towers will need to up their game to match thus adrenalin rush. It's a strange feeling of being scared initially, to being excited then to a calmness and really enjoying them go by.  The sharks were mainly nurse sharks however there were also some black tip reef sharks.  We all thought there was only one black tip reef sharp however watching back the video there were three at one time going across so there had to be more!!  At one time one of the nurse sharks knocked into Dave.  At one point I felt something hit my tank, while I was under the water I told myself it was a person, but I'm not so sure. I didn't want to think what was behind me!!!!!  One of the lads Heika (not sure if that's spelt right), was telling us today that he was laying in the sand with his hands out front and on his knees, as if he was doing press ups, one of the sharks went between his arms and knees and allowed him to stroke it!  No explanation will ever give the full picture of this experience! I do have video but it needs editing! 

This morning we have our last dive and again a great dive sharks again..white tip and grey reef sharks. A turtle, a flat worm and and and....... :-).  Then once again just as we think it can't get better the pièce de résistance was a large leopard shark laying on the reef edge!!!

It is sad to pack our dive kit up but we have had a fantastic time. We have met some lovely people and had some great dives :-). 



No comments:

Post a Comment